Non Slip Flooring
FGS have 2 types of different non slip flooring. These can be used in conjunction with Custom Toughened Laminated Glass and can either be directly laminated to the other pieces of glass or can be used as a sacrificial piece of glass on laminated flooring. As a sacrificial layer, this piece of glass can be easily replaced if it breaks or gets damaged. However, if you have any moisture between the 2 pieces of glass you may encounter an oil can effect, where you may be able to see a rainbow effect between the sheets.
The 2 types of glass that are available are
- Etched Glass
- The pattern is etched into the glass
- Abrasive Paste Glass
- The pattern is applied to the glass and is baked through the toughening cycle
Different types of non slip glass carry a non slip rating, called a ‘P’ rating. This ranges from a P1 glass which has very little amount of non slip ability, upto P4 with is extremely non slip and can be used in many applications, including wet areas. All of FGS Glass Non Slips have been independently tested and have a specific ‘P’ Rating. FGS Glass’s Stairtread/flooring system is called TreadSafe
FGS Glass can crate and deliver Laminated Glass to anywhere in Australia
Non Slip Glass Types – Embossed Etched Glass
Embossed Etched Glass is available in full sheet sizes 3660mm x 2440mm. It comes in 2 types of finish
- Crystal Frost Etch Low Iron (Right)
- Frosted Etch has the same finish as Satin Frost, which means it is not clear. It gives a diffused look
- Frosted Etch has a high ‘P’ Rating. It is typically rating between P3 and P4, the two highest ratings
- Crystal Clear Etch Low Iron (Left)
- Clear Etch looks just like clear glass, which means you can see through it.
- Clear Etch has a much lower ‘P’ Rating. It typically has a ‘P’ rating between P1 and P2, with most patterns being P1. This means the glass has some some non slip properties but is not recommended in a number of applications
Look at the header photo above to see the difference between Frost and Clear Etched Glass
Non Slip Glass Types – Abrasive Paste Glass
Abrasive Paste Glass is available up to 1600mm x 810mm or 2000mm x 610mm, this is considerably smaller than the Etched Non Slip glass. Abrasive Paste Glass is only available on clear glass. On larger jobs, this could be extended to Ultra Clear, Satin Frost, Crystal Frost and Euro Grey.
- Abrasive Paste Glass
- Abrasive Paste Glass has the same finish as Clear, which means you can see through it.
- Abrasive Paste Glass has the highest ‘P’ Rating. It is typically rating at P4, which is the highest rating
- The major downside is that we are limited by the size of the glass sheets available. This size restraint will mean Abrasive Paste Glass cannot be used on larger jobs.
Look at the header photo above to see our circle pattern and the FGS Logo pattern.
Non Slip ‘P’ Rating
All of the FGS Glass Non Slip surfaces have been tested through a NATA accredited test Laboratory. We know that our different types of glass range from P1 upto P4. Below is a brief summary of our Non Slip Glass Types
- Frosted Embossed Etched Glass – P3/P4
- Clear Embossed Etched Glass – P1
- Abrasive Paste Glass – P4
The classifications for each rating are shown below. It gives a clear understanding of where each type of non slip surface is recommended to be used. Each non slip glass has an SRV score, which then relates to the ‘P’ classification. The useage can range from wet swimming pool surrounds P4 down to Dry entry and exit access areas P1. Please talk to our Technical Lamination Manager on 03 8562 0880 for advice on Non Slip Flooring
‘P’ Rating Descriptions
- P4 Classification (SRV 45 – 54)
- External ramps including sloping driveways, footpaths etc., under 1 in 14, external sales areas (eg markets), external carpark areas, external colonnades, walkways, pedestrian crossings, balconies, verandas, carports, driveways, courtyards, and roof
- Serving areas behind bars in public hotels and clubs, cold stores and
- Swimming pool surrounds and communal shower rooms
- P3 Classification (SRV 35 – 44)
- Undercover carparks
- Entries and access areas including hotels offices, public buildings, schools, kindergartens, common areas of public buildings, internal lift lobbies – WET4 areas
- Toilet facilities in offices, hotels and shopping
- Fast food outlets, buffet food servery areas, food courts and fast food dining areas in shopping centres.
- Shop and supermarket fresh fruit and vegetable areas
- Shop entry areas with external entrances
- Other separate shops inside shopping centres – WET6
- Communal changing rooms
- Undercover concourse areas of sports stadiums
- Bathrooms and en-suites in hospital and aged care facilities
- P2 Classification (SRV 25 – 34)
- Entries and access areas including hotels offices, public buildings, schools, kindergartens, common areas of public buildings, internal lift lobbies – TRANSITIONAL5 areas
- Hotel apartment bathrooms, en-suites and toilets
- Hotel apartment kitchens and laundries
- Wards and corridors in hospital and aged care facilities
- P1 Classification (SRV 12 – 24)
- Entries and access areas including hotels offices, public buildings, schools, kindergartens, common areas of public buildings, internal lift lobbies – DRY6 areas
- Supermarket aisles (except fresh food areas)
- Other separate shops inside shopping centres – DRY5
- P0 Classification (SRV<12)
Standards Australia handbook HB 198:20142 does not list suitable locations for surfaces with a P0 rating and therefore it could be concluded that the finish is not suitable for use in any location that may become wet at any time. According to the Notes to Table 3B of HB198 “…some smooth and polished floor surfaces, which do not achieve Classification P1, may be considered to provide a safe walking environment for normal pedestrians walking at a moderate pace, provided the surfaces are kept clean and dry; however, should these surfaces become contaminated by either wet or dry materials, or be used by pedestrians in any other manner, then they become unsafe.”
Welcome to FGS Glass
FGS Glass are 140 years in the making, with a rich history starting in the wool industry. Initially being formed under the George Fethers banner, FGS are now a stand alone Company.
We pride ourselves on Customer Service, Delivering On Time, High Quality and doing what we say we will. Making FGS your 'First Choice in Glass'. We believe we are the best glass processor in Australia.